February 11, 2021
To the faithful in the Episcopal Diocese of Milwaukee,
We write you today to announce the retirement of Canon Peggy Bean, Canon for Congregations. Her retirement will begin on Monday, March 8, 2021. There is much for which to be grateful and to celebrate in Peggy’s 23 years of ministry to God’s people in this diocese.
- Peggy worked hard in the area of congregational development. She created a new system for offering developing congregations financial and organizational support.
- Peggy was instrumental in creating the Congregational Development Institute in the Diocese of Milwaukee. This program became so successful and well-known that other dioceses throughout the church adopted it, and Peggy, in turn, served as a consultant to get those new programs up and running successfully.
- The formation and on-going operation of the Hospitality Center, Racine County’s largest day shelter for people who are hungry, seeking hope, and, in many cases, homeless, located at St. Luke’s, was due in part to Peggy’s support and dedication.
- Many clergy serving in our diocese are here because of Peggy’s work in the area of deployment. Her deployment work here has also led to opportunities for her to serve the Church on the regional and national levels.
- Parishes carrying heavy debt often found relief from those financial burdens due to Peggy’s careful work through the Commission on Mission and Development and through the diocesan Finance Committee.
- Several new rectors, priests-in-charge, and vicars attended Fresh Start, a program for fostering relationships among clergy and their congregations during their transitions into new calls, facilitated by Peggy.
- Lay leaders throughout the diocese were blessed by Peggy’s leadership, wisdom and insight as a trainer in areas of lay ministry leadership and development.
… and there is more.
We give thanks and praise to God for Peggy’s ministry and leadership among us, and we pray for God’s blessings upon her in the years ahead. Tokens of appreciation, cards, and notes can be sent to Peggy at the following address:
Episcopal Diocese of Milwaukee
Attn: Peggy Bean
804 E. Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Thank you and may God continue to bless us all and the common life we share in the Diocese of Milwaukee.
Fr. Scott R. Leannah, President
Standing Committee of the Diocese of Milwaukee