Resources for Parish Leaders
Church is different and will be different as we move into 2021.
- The COMPLETE Church Communicator’s Toolkit
Canon Huddleston recommended this article, The COMPLETE Church Communicator's Toolkit, because it provides several good tools to communicate to your parishioners. "Feeling overwhelmed? Too many scraps of paper? Notes jotted on the back of mail envelopes? All of us can feel like our life is out of control, especially when guiding a parish. This article will give you some helpful tools. Use the ones that appeal and seem to be a natural fit to your style of working. " And a note from your diocesan communications officer: I like Canon Huddleston's last sentence best. Use the tools that help you. I've used several of the ideas in the article. Some I love (Canva, Mailchimp, Google Docs, Grammarly... I'm looking at you!), some I don't know, and some I've used and not found them helpful for me. See what works best for you.
- Special 2020 Parochial Report Form
There is a new, special 2020 Parochial Report form now viewable on the General Convention website in English, Spanish, and French.
Read more: https://tinyurl.com/y2qz9sc9
In Spanish here: https://tinyurl.com/yy9jo559
- E-News: Updated information is always in the weekly E-NEWS from the Diocese of Milwaukee. Be sure to sign up for it if you are not receiving it and be sure your vestry members sign up. If you need help signing up, contact Barb Klauber at
- Website and Social Media: Sara Bitner, our communications officer, updates the website on a regular basis, so always check there first for the latest information. You can also find updates on our Facebook page and Instagram account.
- COVID-19 Response: We have updated information on a regular basis regarding COVID-19 and our response. We provide these updates on our website and in the weekly E-NEWS. Be sure to check the website if you have questions.
- Alban Institute: The Alban Institute has a great number of resources and information about the church, including information about congregational development, finances, and technology.
- Recommended article: Five Reasons Why 2021 Should Be a New Base Year for Your Church from the Church Answers website
- Episcopal Church Foundation: The Episcopal Church Foundation offers many resources for vestries, especially the monthly Vestry Papers and the Vestry Resource Guide.
- Episcopal News Service: The Episcopal News Service is the official news source for The Episcopal Church and reports on local, national, and international events and ministries.
Wardens and Treasurers Meetings: Upcoming dates and topics
Thursday, March 18, at 7 pm: Jill Heller will share about the Trustees of Funds and Endowments (planning giving, endowments, etc.).
Links to join these meetings will be sent to all parish wardens and treasurers. If you are a parish warden or treasurer and you are not receiving these emails, please contact the diocesan office and ask to be added to the list ( ). Diocesan clergy are also most welcome to attend these sessions.
Wardens and treasurers Meetings videos
Recording from the March 18, 2021 Meeting: Jill Heller, executive director of Trustees of Funds and Endowments (TFE) provided a great explanation of all the services that TFE provides and fielded questions from attendees. You may watch the recording of the meeting here. Also, you can find the slides from the presentation here.
Recording from the February 18, 2021 Meeting: Alice Mirk and Mother Pippa Lindwright gave a presentation on fundraising in the church. You may watch the recording here. Additionally, you can view the slides from the presentation here.
Recording from the January 21, 2021 Meeting: Canon Peggy Bean highlighted the changes in how to fill out your 2020 parochial report and answering questions about it. You may watch the recording of the meeting here.
Recording from the January 14, 2021 Meeting: Canon Huddleston gave a presentation on how to present a budget in an engaging manner. You may watch the recording of the meeting here. You can see the presentation slides here.
Recording from the December 17, 2020 Meeting: We had a presentation from the Way Forward Task Force. We heard lots of good information on the diocesan response to the COVID-19 pandemic from Deacon Bill Dunlop and other members of the task force. You may watch the recording of the meeting here. You can see the presentation slides here. The Way Forward Task Force has consistently provided updates to the diocese in our weekly E-News throughout the pandemic. And all of their requirements, recommendations, and resources are uploaded to our website.
Recording from the December 10, 2020 Meeting: We met via Zoom to discuss how to conduct Annual Meetings at this time. The Rev. Melesa Skoglund (St. Andrew's, Madison) and Mark Erhmann (Chancellor) led the discussion. You may watch the recording here. Mother Melesa provided resources that they used at St. Andrew's to plan and execute their meeting. You can view all their materials here. These materials were, of course, developed for St. Andrew's. The files are set so that you can view them. If you'd like to adapt the materials for your use at your parish, you'll need to make a copy of the file first. Just right click on the file, and then scroll down to where it says "make a copy."
Recording from the December 3, 2020 Meeting: We met via Zoom to talk about Christian Formation for Children. The Rev. Dr. Miranda Hassett (St. Dunstan's, Madison), Jean Heffernan (Christ Church, Whitefish Bay), and Jamie Jackson (St. Christopher's, River Hills) led the discussion. You may watch the recording of the meeting here. If you'd like to access Jean Heffernan's slides, you can find them here. Both Jean and Jamie have a lot of materials they have shared with their church families on their parish websites:
Christ Church, Whitefish Bay
St. Christopher's, River Hills
Other things that Rev. Miranda shared:
The Sunday Paper
St. Alban's (UK) Seasonal Resources (Apparently their Crib Service ideas are great. What's a Crib Service? That seems to be what they call their Christmas Pageants. Who knew! Scroll to the bottom of the page to find that.)
Recording from November 19, 2020 Meeting: We met via Zoom to talk about online worship — live-streaming, Zoom church, and more. The Rev. Don Fleischman, who has been producing our weekly diocesan services, and the Rev. Miranda Hassett, who has been leading her parish using Zoom, guided the conversation.
Slides and other information from the presentations:
Recordings from October 22, 2020 Meeting: Canon Peggy Bean and Canon Kevin Huddleston met virtually with parish wardens and treasurers. They talked about diocesan and parish roles and responsibilities. They also shared a number of resources available to parishes. All of the resources shared are listed below.
Recording from October 22, 2020 Meeting: Part 2