This page is designed to provide information and links that may be helpful to those who are discerning the call to ordained ministry in the Diocese of Milwaukee.
Discernment for ordination is the work of the church, a communal affair, not a solitary or small group task, and in the Diocese of Milwaukee, this work is supported by the Commission on Ministry.
The mission of the Commission on Ministry is to support:
- All baptized persons to discern and act on their calls to ministry, using the gifts given to them in service to God.
- Congregations to actively recognize, affirm and enable their individual members to participate in making the Kingdom of God visible through works of compassion, justice
andwitness to the world.
The Commission on Ministry is appointed by the bishop to advise and assist him in all matters specified by the Canons of the General Convention as follows:
- Determining present and future needs for ministry in the diocese.
- Recruiting and selecting persons for holy orders, and guiding and examining postulants and candidates for orders.
- Providing for the guidance and pastoral care of clergy and
lay personswho are in stipendiary and non-stipendiary positions accountable to the bishop.
- Promoting the continuing education of the clergy and lay professionals employed by the Church.
- Supporting the developing, training, utilization and affirmation of the ministry of the laity in the world.
- Submitting a report of the work done under its supervision during the preceding year to each convention.
To Begin Discernment
If you are wanting to discern a call to Holy Orders, or if a priest in the diocese is aware of someone in their parish wanting to discern a call, please contact Commission on Ministry (COM) President, the Rev. Ian Burch, to set up an appointment to discuss the process for 2020. The COM will be glad to provide training for parish ministry discernment committees either in person or through Zoom meetings.
Episcopal Diocese of Milwaukee Manual for Discernment
To download only the section of the manual that is needed for your discernment process, see below.
Manuals for Discernment for Lay Ministry and Professional Chaplaincy
Manuals for Discernment for Holy Orders
Manuals for Parish Ministry Discernment Committees
Manuals for the Commission on Ministry
Required Documents and Forms for Discernment
Please contact the Rev. Ian Burch, President of the Commission on Ministry, with any questions.