Six Advent Resources for Home Use + Our Own Daily Advent Reflections!
- Maya Angelou and the Freedom Poetry of Advent from Salt Project: Salt Project has a number of Advent resources available that are appropriate for home use. One of the resources offered this year for Advent is this devotional. Biblical texts and simple, accessible practices interweave with Maya Angelou’s stirring vision of faith, freedom, and dignity. Week by week, as you wait, watch, and pray, you’ll walk toward Bethlehem – with Maya Angelou as your guide.
- Those Who Dream: A Devotional for Advent, Year B from A Sanctified Art: Beginning with the first Sunday in Advent, this daily devotional follows the Revised Common Lectionary (Year B) through Epiphany. Each day offers something new: commentary, poetry, visual art, coloring pages, journaling and Sabbath prompts. As you walk through these prompts and readings day by day, may you dream alongside prophets and angels, Mary and the Magi. Together, may we seek and sow God’s dreams for our world.
- Advent Word: For the seventh year in a row, #AdventWord will gather prayers via a global, online advent calendar. Virginia Theological Seminary (VTS) in partnership with Forward Movement is offering 27 daily meditations and images during this holy season beginning Sunday, November 29. During a year of disparate worship and communities of prayer, AdventWord offers a way to reflect and pause for the Advent season and await the birth of Christ.
- While It Is Still Dark: An Advent Quiet Morning: On Friday, December 11, from 8 to 11 am (CST), Lifelong Learning of Virginia Theological Seminary will offer an Advent quiet morning. This year in particular, the Advent themes of exile and longing invite us to dwell more deeply in our experiences of brokenness and loss, darkness and “not yet,” always in the context of Christian hope. Spiritual Companion and poet Kathy Staudt will guide us – through poetry, journaling and guided prayer – to reclaim ways to live in hope and respond to this season’s holy invitations.
- Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany Activity Pack for Children and Families: This activity pack for children and families from Church Publishing includes a variety of ideas for young children and for intergenerational groups.
- The Womb of Advent from Church Publishing: Mark Bozzuti-Jones offers a unique perspective on the season of Advent. Along with Scripture readings and prayers, he offers four weeks of meditations that focus on the growth of Jesus in the womb of Mary as he approaches the day of his birth.
And, coming soon, our very own diocesan Daily Advent Reflections! We are putting together reflections based on the Daily Office readings from people, both lay and clergy, across the diocese. We will publish the reflections in a pdf that contains all of the reflections for those who do not have electronic access or prefer paper copies. The pdf will be shared in the E-NEWS. Individual churches will be responsible for printing and sending to their shut-ins or those without technology. Additionally, we will send these reflections out daily by email. If you'd like to sign up to receive the Diocese of Milwaukee Daily Advent Reflections, click here.