Canon 8 Task Force Needs Input from Diocese
The Task Force on Canon 8 needs your feedback to improve the current draft
A task force formed by the actions of the 2016 Diocesan Convention has been charged with the work of reimagining and rewriting a section of Canon 28 - “Of Congregations” to better create a structure by which parishes contending with structural, financial or ministry issues might be better supported by the Diocese in renewing or improving their status. At the convention in 2017, the charge of that Task Force was renewed for another year, so that one component of their work, involving the implementation of a framework for input and feedback by members of the Diocese, might be fully implemented. The group is in the midst of that work now, and your participation is requested. A final proposed Canon will be presented to the Diocesan Convention for adoption or other action at the convention in October of this year.
A draft of a new Canon 8 - “Of Parish Status and Oversight”, has been made a available for review on the internet at https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/59488961/canon-8-of-parish-status-and-oversight-10-23-17, and the existing Canons, for reference, can be found at http://4287bc9c9bb755ee9b1c-99f58ea2c4c5aeff46cb80447448079e.r26.cf2.rackcdn.com/uploaded/d/0e3818931_1415233804_diocese-constitution-and-canons-canons-amended-102014.pdf. After reviewing these documents, there are a number of ways to provide your feedback on the proposed language and guidelines. First, an online survey can be found at https://diomil.wufoo.com/forms/p1ntrm1f1kxdtrq/. This simple form will allow the Task Force to collect and save input for use in their ongoing review. Better still, we have organized a number of sessions to provide input directly to Task Force members at various meetings around the diocese. A few, including meetings with various convocations and diocesan committees have already taken place, but a number of sessions are coming up between now and the end of April. All meetings are open to members of the Diocese.
- Wednesday March 14 @ 7:00 PM at St. Luke’s Madison; meeting of the Madison Convocation
- Tuesday April 10 @ 7:00 PM at Trinity Wauwatosa; general session for Milwaukee area parishes
- Thursday April 12 @ 7:00 pm at St. Luke’s Racine; general session for Racine/Kenosha area parishes
- Saturday April 14 @10:00 am at Trinity, Baraboo; open session for clergy and parishioners in the River Convocation
- Sessions are also planned in conjunction with upcoming meetings of the Standing and Finance Committees, Executive Council, COM and COMD. Watch the Diocesan e-News for notices of future meetings to find one that fits your schedule.
If all other opportunities fail, and the online survey does not work for you for whatever reason, written comments may be sent to either of the committee chairs via email, to be shared as we continue our work. We look forward to your input, and to the ongoing work of the Task Force as we prepare new tools to help strengthen and improve our congregations and our ministries together in the Diocese of Milwaukee.